lr_scheduler.OneCycleLR "ValueError: Tried to step X+2 times. The specified number of total steps is X."

Hi folks,

I’m quite new to using PyTorch and Lightning and seem to be running into the same error detailed as below using the lr_scheduler.OneCycleLR, but there is no solution there applicable to my problem:

My optimizer and training loops are as follows - perhaps there is an implementation error?:

def configure_optimizers(self):
    optimizer = optim.Adam(self.parameters(), lr=self.lr)

lr_scheduler = torch.optim.lr_scheduler.OneCycleLR(
        optimizer,                           
        max_lr=self.lr,
        total_steps = self.epochs*self.steps_per_epoch,
        div_factor = 1
        )
    scheduler = {"scheduler": lr_scheduler, "interval" : "step"}

return [optimizer], [scheduler]

def training_step(self, batch, batch_idx):
    x, y = batch
    y_hat = self(x)
    y_hats = torch.split(y_hat, 9) # split every 9 frames (i.e. each sample)
    y_hat = torch.stack([torch.mean(yhat, 0) for yhat in y_hats]) # take all yhat predictions and average over all 9 subframes per sample
    loss = self.loss_func(y_hat, y)
    result = pl.TrainResult(loss)
    result.log('train_loss:', loss, on_step=False, on_epoch=True, prog_bar=True, logger=True)
    return result

The error trace is as below and always occurs at the end of training, with an error of 2 extra steps. It seems that scheduler.step() is called 2 too many times during training regardless of the number of training epochs. If anyone has any ideas for solutions I could be grateful, thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ValueError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-31-0144cd8befb8> in <module>
      9 trainer = Trainer(gpus=1, deterministic=True, auto_lr_find=False, callbacks=[lr_monitor])
     10 # net.epochs, net.steps_per_epoch
---> 11 trainer.fit(net, data)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/trainer/states.py in wrapped_fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
     46             if entering is not None:
     47                 self.state = entering
---> 48             result = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
     50             # The INTERRUPTED state can be set inside the run function. To indicate that run was interrupted

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/trainer/trainer.py in fit(self, model, train_dataloader, val_dataloaders, datamodule)
   1071             self.accelerator_backend = GPUBackend(self)
   1072             model = self.accelerator_backend.setup(model)
-> 1073             results = self.accelerator_backend.train(model)
   1075         elif self.use_tpu:

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/accelerators/gpu_backend.py in train(self, model)
     50     def train(self, model):
---> 51         results = self.trainer.run_pretrain_routine(model)
     52         return results

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/trainer/trainer.py in run_pretrain_routine(self, model)
   1238         # CORE TRAINING LOOP
-> 1239         self.train()
   1241     def _run_sanity_check(self, ref_model, model):

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/trainer/training_loop.py in train(self)
    392                 # RUN TNG EPOCH
    393                 # -----------------
--> 394                 self.run_training_epoch()
    396                 if self.max_steps and self.max_steps <= self.global_step:

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/trainer/training_loop.py in run_training_epoch(self)
    529             monitor_metrics = deepcopy(self.callback_metrics)
    530             monitor_metrics.update(batch_output.batch_log_metrics)
--> 531             self.update_train_loop_lr_schedulers(monitor_metrics=monitor_metrics)
    533             # progress global step according to grads progress

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/trainer/training_loop.py in update_train_loop_lr_schedulers(self, monitor_metrics)
    597                 or (self.batch_idx + 1) == self.num_training_batches):
    598             # update lr
--> 599             self.update_learning_rates(interval='step', monitor_metrics=monitor_metrics)
    601     def run_on_epoch_end_hook(self, model):

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/trainer/training_loop.py in update_learning_rates(self, interval, monitor_metrics)
   1305                     # update LR
-> 1306                     lr_scheduler['scheduler'].step()
   1308                     if self.dev_debugger.enabled:

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/optim/lr_scheduler.py in step(self, epoch)
    139             if epoch is None:
    140                 self.last_epoch += 1
--> 141                 values = self.get_lr()
    142             else:
    143                 warnings.warn(EPOCH_DEPRECATION_WARNING, UserWarning)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/optim/lr_scheduler.py in get_lr(self)
   1211         if step_num > self.total_steps:
-> 1212             raise ValueError("Tried to step {} times. The specified number of total steps is {}"
   1213                              .format(step_num + 1, self.total_steps))

ValueError: Tried to step 402 times. The specified number of total steps is 400

How are you assigning self.steps_per_epoch? Perhaps this is the wrong value.

I doubt that this is the problem, but perhaps the 2 extra steps are coming from the 2 steps performed during the sanity check. You could check if this is the case by setting trainer = Trainer(num_sanity_val_steps=0).

Hi, thanks for your response.

I’m assigning self.steps_per_epoch by passing len(data.train_dataloader()) which is created using a data module. I’ve checked this and it always gives the correct length such that epochs * steps_per_epoch = total_steps without the extra two steps in the error.

Also, I’ve tried what you suggested with trainer = Trainer(num_sanity_val_steps=0), alas no change. It seems somewhere in the training loop an extra 2 steps are being called as per the problem in the PyTorch forums thread… with the OP there they were training twice, but I’m not.

There’s a suggestion in that thread:

For debugging purposes you could add a counter and print its accumulated value for each scheduler.step() call.

How would I do this using Lightning?

Hmm. I’m not sure if there is a way to do this in Lightning. Here is the place in Lightning where scheduler.step() is called. Perhaps you can clone, the repo, add a print/accumulator here, and try to the debug the issue? In the mean time I will see if I can reproduce the issue myself.

OK I think I’ve just figured out what I was doing wrong - I wasn’t passing a max_epochs argument to the Trainer() instantiation, as I was defining this within the Lightning Module for the LR Scheduling instead. So the trainer.fit() operation wanted to continue training, but the training on the LR Scheduler had ended already, causing the extra step error.

Would it be correct to say the best way to pass it to Trainer would be as follows?:

net = audioNet16k(num_classes=num_classes, 
                       epochs=1,
                       lr=2e-3, 
                       loss_func=nn.CrossEntropyLoss(),
                       metric=Accuracy(),
                       steps_per_epoch=len(data.train_dataloader()))
    trainer = Trainer(gpus=1, 
                      deterministic=True,
                      max_epochs=net.epochs,
                      auto_lr_find=False, 
                      callbacks=[lr_monitor])
2 Likes

That should work! Glad you figured it out :slight_smile:

Can’t figure it out.
This seems to be related to Number of steps per epoch · Issue #5449 · Lightning-AI/lightning · GitHub
If I remove OneCycleLR and use trainer.auto_lr_find=True then all works fine.

v: 1.5.10

The docs (Optimization — PyTorch Lightning 1.8.0dev documentation) state that:

* Before v1.3, Lightning automatically called `lr_scheduler.step()` in both automatic and manual optimization. From 1.3, `lr_scheduler.step()` is now for the user to call at arbitrary intervals.
* Note that the `lr_scheduler_config` keys, such as `"frequency"` and `"interval"` , will be ignored even if they are provided in your `configure_optimizers()` during manual optimization. 

But this is not the case.

If you do end specifying an interval in your scheduler definition, for example:

def configure_optimizers(self):
        optim_cls = {'Adam': torch.optim.Adam, 'RAdam': torch.optim.RAdam, 'AdamW': torch.optim.AdamW}[self.args.optim]
        optimizer = optim_cls(filter(lambda p: p.requires_grad, self.parameters()), lr=self.args.lr, weight_decay=self.args.wd)
        lr_scheduler = torch.optim.lr_scheduler.OneCycleLR(optimizer, max_lr=args.lr, steps_per_epoch=self.dataloader_len,
                                                        epochs=args.num_epochs, anneal_strategy='linear', div_factor=100)
        lr_scheduler_config = {"scheduler": lr_scheduler,
                               "interval": "step",
        }
        return {"optimizer": optimizer, "lr_scheduler": lr_scheduler_config}

and then also manually call step():

def training_step(self, batch, batch_nb):
        if self.pairs:
            x1, x2, y, mask = batch
            x = [x1, x2]
        else:
            x, y = batch
        y_hat = self(x)

loss = self.loss(y_hat, y)
        self.lr_schedulers().step()

You will end up doubling your _step_count at each train step and run into this error. So dont call manually step() if you specify it in interval def. This is reproducible for lightning version 1.5.10

Thanks, you saved my day.